The many health benefits of oil pulling has been understood for centuries by other cultures but is just becoming more popular in America.
Oil Pulling is an ancient detoxification method which involves swishing oil around in your mouth for about 15-20 minutes. Some of the benefits are to reduce harmful bacteria, reduce plaque, support the remineralization of teeth, help gum issues, and overall provide for gum health, thus affecting the entire body.
I basically pour melted coconut oil into each little hole, drip in 3-4 drops of my preferred essential oil, then pop in the freezer for an hour to solidify. I keep these in a jar in my fridge and grab one in the morning. EASY!!
NOW, instead of steps 1 & 2 below, I just grab one of my Oil Pulling Melts, pop it in my mouth and swish away!
Essential oils that support oral (and whole body) wellness
- Protective Blend (supports healthy immunity)
How it works
The oil pulls bacteria, parasites and toxins from your body via the saliva. The bacteria count in your mouth is the highest first thing in the morning before eating or drinking. According to Ayurvedic medicine, mucous is poisonous and must be removed.
Helpful tip #1 - Tilt your head and chin up several times during your oil pulling sessions so the oil gets back into your molars. Do NOT gargle in the throat.
Helpful tip #2 - Sesame oil is the traditional oil in Ayurvedic practice. Many people have had great results using raw virgin coconut oil, however.
Helpful tip #4 - Worsening symptoms is an indication that your condition is improving through detoxification. It's called a Herxheimer reaction. This may be lessened by reducing the number of times a day or week you are oil pulling but don't stop completely. Just take it down a notch to a more comfortable level based on your goals and your symptoms. There is absolutely NO danger in oil pulling. This is an aggravation that can be adjusted by reducing the frequency.
Oil Pulling Basics:
- First thing in the morning before eating or drinking, put 1 teaspoon-1 tablespoon of coconut or sesame oil in your mouth. Use 1 teaspoon if you have a strong gag reflex or are just learning to oil pull. Swish, swish until your oil is liquid.
- Add 2 drops of your favorite essential oil or one that serves your health goal. OR, GRAB ONE OF YOUR PRE-MADE OIL PULLING MELTS!
- Swish the oil around, pulling it through your teeth, back and forth for 15-20 minutes. I like to oil pull while I'm in the shower. It's helpful in case I drool and keeps people from wanting to chit chat:)
- Afterwards, spit the oil into your trash or into a paper towel. Do not swallow it! It is now FULL of toxins and bad bacteria.
- Rinse your mouth with warm water then brush your teeth with a non-chemicalized/non-fluoride toothpaste.
- Understand that you may experience some detoxification symptoms if oil pulling is done several times a week. Start with 2-3 times a week at first. Feel well!